Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Bogans according to Lara Parker


Black fashion director Rachael Churchward recently worked with photographer Stephen Tilley on a second Lara Parker look book for the season and we have no doubt this talented local designer is one to watch. Parker released her SS10 range in two parts, the more demure Geeks collection and this West-is-best-we-love-Stevie-Nicks-when-she's-all-dressed-up range, entitled Bogans. The range is not quite as literal as the title would suggest however and playfully flirts with proportion, texture and a lateral interpretation of bogan sensibility. Ankle-grazing hemlines, as featured on the 'Stevie' skirt are juxtaposed with the A-line flirtiness of the "Peaches' dress. The ruched "Roxanne" mini confirms Parker is as accurate with her names as she is with her designs. Black is the foundation colour of the range but the mood is airy and feminine. Perfect for blatting out to the West Coast in the Holden Kingswood with the windows down... Hair by Lauren Gunn @ Stephen Marr, make-up by Kimberley Hill for M.A.C Cosmetics. Model: Imogene @ Red 11. All shoes by Maurie & Eve. We asked Lara about the range...

Why Bogans? Bogans are back! Initially I thought it would be fun to do theoverly preppy geek and the overly tacky bogan. But once I was in the sample stage of my Bogan range I felt it was too predictable and not Lara Parker. I had to start over so I went on a bogan inspiration hunt. I had to step out of my comfort zone - can Lara Parker do a bogan range and remain true to my brand? The same girl needed to wear and relate to both Geeks and Bogans and that challenged me.

Why more black? In my case black isnot so usual. I've used black as a statement, not as a safe piece.


How would you describe the Lara Parker girl? Confident and comfortable with who she is, she expresses her different moods by what she wears.

What is the Lara Parker soundtrack? I'm stuck in a time warp. Blondie, Kylie, Madonna, David Bowie, Duran Duran.

Who has helped you develop the range? I do the designing at night and alone, I need space to create my vision. However, it is my genius patternmaker who has to bring it to life and my stylist has to interpret and present the vision.

Who, or what is your inspiration? I ended up using hot bogan legend Stevie Nicks, even though both Blondie and Pat Benetar divas were in the running. On this occasion they would have been too eighties.


Where can we buy Lara Parker? From either of our two stores; Newmarket, Auckland or Cuba Street, Wellington